Sunday, February 05, 2006

Every week without fail

On a weekly basis I turn into a blubbering idiot (at least the weeks I'm home and I remember to turn on the TV at 8 on Sundays - or during the syndication sightings). It has even happened this week. Yes, I was watching the Super Bowl as well, but hey, one can only handle so much when the Steelers had been winning since the second quarter. As I write they now have officially won, confetti and all, arghh! So, knowing it was a repeat but not having the past viewing pleasure and frustrated that the Seahawks weren't coming through for me, I flipped back and forth to Cold Case. While I am painfully aware that the show is far fetched at best, (I can seldom remember events from last week in great detail let alone even attempt to recount what occurred 15 years ago with any type of authority, yet characters on the show have an uncanny ability to recall anything and everything about cases that took place anywhere from 10 to 40 years prior) the music is great and I typically find the stories entertaining - what can i say, i'm a sucker for the flashback premise. I admit, i get sucked in. And while i would love to be able to blame it on hormones, I believe the fact that I cry each and every time I watch (note that i don't even have to catch the entire episode - kinda like the weird ability to start watching 15 minutes from the end of A League Of Their Own and bawl for the last 5)discounts the possibility. Call it girlie, but i can't stop. I don't want to feel like a big dork and I don't go into it thinking that i'll cry (although why i don't in light of my track record is truly amazing, but my propensity toward self denial is for another post) yet at the end of the episode as the friends/family are gaining closure and the detectives are feeling all justified as they write 'closed' on the box and replace it, i begin to well up. If by some odd chance i haven't begun blubbering at this point, i'm sure to lose it as the deceased makes their final appearance. I am not an attractive crier. This all being said, I don't know why i continue to subject myself to this show on a consistent basis even if i like it, but i doubt i'll stop.
I'll blame this evening's cry on the Steelers - if they had just been losing as they should have been i wouldn't have been wiping tears and blowing my nose during the last minute and a half of the game, no matter how appropriate that may have been given the circumstances. Man, i hate the steelers! Yippy Skippy coach finally has a Super Bowl win and oooh ahhh, Jerome Bettis can leave the sport "where he began" and on a high (okay, i really am not completely immune to these moving stories, i mean, come on, i've already discussed how i cry for no apparent reason), but sheesh, the steelers?!?
What's the count down to opening day? It's a good thing i have march madness to possibly look forward to - we'll see if i actually do in the coming weeks. If nothing else it'll offer some entertainment before baseball season.

2 Comments:

At 12:22 AM, Blogger The Sasquatch said...

As of this writing there are 53 days 19 hours 42 minutes and 5 seconds until opening day ... 4 ... 3 ... 2 ...

 
At 10:49 PM, Blogger SWAD said...

you're awesome!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home