Sunday, May 07, 2006

needle in a haystack

So I spend an inordinate amount of time in bookstores and I particularly enjoy Half Price Books, for reasons that an idiot would be able to deduce. There's also something about books that, at least in my mind, makes them more interesting if others have read them as well. Perhaps it's the literary theorist in me, but there's an odd back story involved. Not only am I reading this text (taking into consideration, of course, time, place, and manner in which it was written - yup, i'm a geek) and therefore involved in my own unique reading at that very moment in time, but am also involved in the lingering of someone else's experince with the very same text, which is bound, by nature of humanity, to have been a very different but equally impacting interpretation/experience. Which (sidenote) is why library stalking brings shame, yes, but also a great deal of excitement - the ability to interact with another reader and gather their impressions of the text; i'm almost overjoyed with the possibility.
This is not the reason for the posting....instead it's a commentary on the gleaning (of a hunt a peck variety) required when searching through the clearance CDs at Half Price Books. I've worked a ton of overtime recently so i engaged in a splurge, settling myself before the understock CDs and purusing at leisure. One must be strong in fortitude and possess a unique sense of humor to commit to such an undertaking. This, you see, is because you must search through multiple copies of the Titanic soundtrack (how could anyone part with such a gem?), a virtual boy band grave yard (yup folks, Backstreet Boys, 98 degrees [there isn't a key for that on the keyboard?] NSync, and O Town are all represented), and easy listening that would make any John Tesh/Yanni/Kenny G lover's heart flutter. The CDs I tend to pick up are CD's i've never listened to but am intrigued and have decided I can't pass up for a dollar or two. I do realize that there is most likely a reason that said CD is priced at a dollar or two, but i don't entertain that thought long. Occasionally I come across an early releace from a band I enjoy, or a movie soundtrack that has a great (or just really nostalgic) song involved - hense why I purchased the City of Angles soundtrack (the Goo Goo Dolls Iris is such a song).
** right now i'm pissed at having inadvertantly deleted half of my post because i'm writing under the influence of a lovely merlot. Damn pop up blocker.**
Today i have listened to some of the random purchases I recently made. There is always a risk involved in purchasing an unknown band/album and although I am far from a risk taker by nature - i prefer to know good and well what i should expect before i commit, I happily piled CDs atop of books a week ago friday. I can say that a few of my findings have far exceeded my expectations (of course I tend to live with low expectations in order to avoid dissapointment). Overall I am pleasently surprised. A few of my selections turned out to be duds, but at least one of my impulse buys has proved a keeper. And after all, isn't that all you can hope when searching for the proverbial needle in a haystack?

2 Comments:

At 1:31 PM, Blogger The Sasquatch said...

speaking of needle in a haystack ... I used to own a copy of the City of Angels soundtrack. I didn't buy it, though. This girl who lived on my floor in college lent it to me because she said it was good. She dropped out a week later and I never got the chance to return it. I don't even remember her name, and I never listened to the cd. It was one of those things you always plan to do but then never get around to doing. When I moved, I sold it, along with a bunch of other old cds and books, to a Half Price Bookstore in Cincinnati. So there is a very real chance that the City of Angels soundtrack you purchased is the one that graced the bottom of my shelf for many years, and previous to that was a proud and cherished member of the collection of some nameless girl from the middle of nowhere who once dreamed of being a professional musician but gave up and went home. If that's not an expression of shared experiences, I don't know what is.

 
At 11:55 PM, Blogger SWAD said...

Hmmm...i found my copy many moons ago, when I was seeking (for reasons completely unknown to me) to revisit the time when Iris meant a ton. I love that music, like books, can do that. mmmmm....Words!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home